Church Business Resources

Please know that the items on this page are not official recommendations from Church Venture Northwest. They simply reflect resources that have come to our attention and/or that have proven helpful and useful in the past. We realize that each ministry and each of our churches is unique in terms of operation and staff background/expertise. Therefore, we hope that the contents of this page will provide a sound, positive, and constructive starting point in your search for the best possible tools to answer your questions and meet your needs.

  • Audit/Certified Public Accountancy (Oregon)

    Mr. Roy Rogers, Managing Partner
    Pauly, Rogers and Co., P.C.
    12700 SW 72nd Ave
    Tigard, OR 97223-8335 503-620-2632

  • Church Law & Tax Resources

    Please visit the Church Law & Tax Store website ( for a plethora of resources to help you in ministry, including:

    • Church and clergy tax guides
    • Compensation handbooks for church staff
    • Pastoral liability
    • Legal training for church boards
    • Toolkits to help you hire the right people for your ministry
    • Purchasing property
    • Emergency preparedness toolkits
    • And more

  • Church Loans & Estate Planning

    Northwest Batpist Foundation
    Church Loans

    Our partnership with the Northwest Baptist Foundation (NWBF) provides CVNW churches the unique opportunity to be in covenant community by assisting one another in better making disciples through investing in the CVNW Loan Pool and borrowing from the CVNW Loan Program.

    The CVNW Loan Pool focuses on investing in the ministry of other CVNW churches and the CVNW Loan Program offers exclusive interest rate discounts for being in covenant community while borrowing to refinance, purchase, construct or renovate a facility to enhance the ministry through it.

    Estate Planning

    The NWBF also assists individuals with the stewardship of estate planning and they offer several options for presenting estate planning to your church. They provide a complete service to individuals who desire to establish or update an estate plan, as well as full church presentations on the value and importance of this type of planning.

    For more information visit their website at or call 360-882-2250.

  • Finances for Churches

    ECFA: Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability

    ECFA has a wide variety of resources for churches related to church finances.

  • Insurance (Churches)

    Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company® is one of the nation's leading insurers of churches and ministries. In business since 1917, Brotherhood Mutual provides property, liability, commercial auto, workers' compensation, mission travel insurance, and payroll services to ministries throughout the United States, including:

    • Churches
    • Church day nurseries
    • Christian camps
    • Schools
    • Association/Denomination offices
    • Colleges and universities
    • Other related ministries
    Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company
    James Reed & Associates

    Brotherhood Mutual is represented by independent agents who subscribe to a code of ethics based on scriptural principles and serve in churches and ministries of their own. The company consistently earns an A (Excellent) rating from A.M. Best, a leading authority in rating insurance companies.

    We recommend our partner in ministry, Brotherhood Mutual represented by James Reed & Associates ([email protected]), for your insurance needs.

  • Insurance (Personal/Family)

    GuideStone Financial Resources - Insurance

    For insurance information or a quote visit or call 888-984-8433. Both group and individual plans are available.

  • IRS

    Question Hotline: 800-829-1040 (for questions raised by individuals)
    Business & Specialty Tax Line: 800-829-4933
    Exempt Organizations (EO) Division:
    For help in completing forms W-2, W-3, 1099, or 1096 call 800-455-7438 Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern time.

  • Legal

    Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company provides free resources for churches and related ministries that extend vastly beyond insurance-related topics. Ask a question, request an attorney referral, and more by visiting their website:

  • Non-Profit 501(c)3 Status

    Many years ago, Venture Church Network successfully filed paperwork with the IRS which grants 501(c)3 non-profit status to all churches affiliated with our Association. For a copy of this crucial documentation for your church (which you will want to retain in your permanent archives for ready access), contact:
    Venture Church Network
    PO Box 7586
    Goodyear, AZ 85338

  • Payroll & Taxes, and Other Tax/Legal Issues

    Please know that the paragraphs below are intended to be purely informational and do not constitute an official endorsement by Church Venture Northwest of any individual, organization, or resource tool. If you are searching for assistance in one of these areas, we would encourage you to go through a responsible "due diligence" process in praying and seeking the Lord's direction to the service provider(s) best equipped to meet your specific need.

    Does your church operate a preschool? An elementary school? A secondary school? A college? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you are required to file a certificate of racial nondiscrimination (Form 5578) to the IRS each year by the 15th day of the fifth month following the end of your fiscal year. You may obtain Form 5578 and instructions for completing it by calling the IRS forms number (800-829-3676) or by downloading a copy from

  • Policy & Procedures

    The Frieze Resource Library provides:

    • Organizational Manual
    • Policies & Procedures Manual
    • Administrative Forms Manual
    • Internal Audit Checklists
    • Employee Handbook
    This information can be found on the Logos Website:

    Sample Documents

    If you are addressing policy issues and are looking for sample documents, Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company has a wide variety of sample policies (vastly beyond insurance-related issues) that have been compiled by their legal staff. To investigate the helps available to churches in this area (free of charge), visit their website at; in the search field on their home page, simply type in Sample Policy.

  • Real Estate Advice/Assistance (Oregon)

    Mr. Michael Beirwagen
    Prudential Northwest Properties
    224 Corporate Center
    6400 SE Lake Rd Ste 200
    Portland, OR 97222-2129

  • Retirement

    Church Venture Northwest has a 50-year commitment to a secure retirement investment platform for our churches, their pastors, staff, and missionaries. Our retirement plan is a defined contribution (DC) plan designated in the Internal Revenue Code as a section 403(b)(9) plan. Eligible employees must receive taxable income from a participating Church Venture Northwest, Venture Church Network church or ministry in order to participate. This retirement program is very flexible and allows the local church/ministry to set participation parameters. Contributions can be made by the employer, employee or both.

    The Church Venture Northwest Retirement Plan will:

    • Help ministers and other Church Venture Northwest church employees better prepare financially for retirement years.
    • Provide a tax-free housing allowance for eligible ministers in retirement.
    • Allow participants individual investment options and 24/7 access to account information.
    • Allow participants to invest in Christian-based, socially-screened investment funds.
    • Provide free investment advisory services that are available to all participants.

    There are several benefits and advantages to participating in the Church Venture Northwest retirement plan through the partnership with GuideStone:

    • There is no cost to the local church/ministry for participation and no required minimum contributions.
    • Salary-reduced contributions can be made tax-deferred or as Roth contributions.
    • Easy-to-use internet-based management tool with 24-hour access is available.
    • GuideStone is a leader in church plan administration, ministerial tax issues, and housing allowance.

    GuideStone Financial Resources

    Guidestone also offers a number of Articles, Websites, and Calculators on their website to help you with a variety of issues related to retirement and finances at

    For general plan information contact:

    Shawn Dorrough
    Senior Relationship Manager
    [email protected]
    Shawn is our primary advocate and consultant at GuideStone Financial Resources. He can be contacted for general questions about the plan or help navigating the plan resources.

    For churches that would like information about getting started in the plan contact:

    Kent Gayle
    New Business Specialist
    [email protected]
    Kent should be contacted by churches that want to get started in our retirement plan. He can also help enroll employees into the retirement plan and set up contribution payments.

    For Participating Churches and Participating Employees

    You can access your account at

    Michelle Shafer
    Client Service Manager
    [email protected]
    Michelle can be contacted for assistance with day-to-day plan administration and compliance questions.

    David Threadgill
    Senior Retirement Account Specialist
    [email protected]
    David is the contact for questions about monthly contributions, Employer Access Portal (EAP) updates, issues, or questions.

    Your Employer Access Program (EAP) administrator (the person at your church who is responsible for interfacing with GuideStone) can access your account at

    For questions, please see this page for contact information:

  • Safety & Security

    The ministry of the church can be seriously compromised by a failure to appropriately and effectively respond to an emergency situation. Emergencies can present themselves in all shapes and sizes, such as medical emergencies, environmental hazards (i.e. fire, earthquakes), and immediate threats to health, safety, and property. Developing and maintaining effective emergency operations plan for local churches and establishing a security team to implement the plan has become a vital part of ministry.

    Please check out the following recommended resources. For a consultation or assessment we recommend you contact, Chris M. Olsen at [email protected].

    Recommended Resources

  • Software for Churches

    You may wish to investigate Servant Keeper. Used by thousands of churches nationwide, the software is designed to:

    • Track contributions and handle church accounting
    • Create reports and statements
    • Manage membership
    • Do mass mailings and e-mailings
    • Print directories
    • Export information easily to other applications
    • And more
    For more information visit